New Automation and Robotics Teacher Looking for Resources!

by Amber Struthers 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Hello! We will be introducting automation and robotics at my high school next year and I'm taking on the task! Any advice for textbooks or curriculum resources would be most appreciated! I previously taught engineering and current teach computer programming and biotechnology, so very interested in any advice others can share!

Tracy Rexroat 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Hi Amber,

Here is a list of standards from the ADE CTE website

https://www.azed.gov/sites/default/files/2021/01/AutomationandRoboticsTSs48050020N.pdf

you can email me directly at tracy.rexroat@azed.gov

Scott Weiler 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Hi Amber,

I am and A&R teacher here in Tucson. I am always happy to help teachers and collaborate.

I'd avoid books. The thing that will make your program is heavily on Hands On. We got great materials from Amatrol and Festo. The key is to break down robotics into skillsets, like electrical, drive systems, pneumatics/hydraulics, and PLCs. I make them all stations, like little kid centers, that my students rotate around. It helps as the students can work independently and I can facilitate more than lecture. 

I'd be happy to share any specifcs, if you'd like. Let me know if I can help.

Amber Struthers 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Wonderful! I'm used to the "hands on" elements from engineering, so I'm comfortable there.  And THANK YOU for those material references, that is most helpful! Would you be willing to share pictures of your room set up sometime so I can get an idea how others prepare? And if you have any "heads up" advice, I'm all ears.  Perhaps a topic that takes longer than you previously thought, or something the students get stuck on. Happy to connect! astruthers@tuhsd.k12.az.us